Ophthalmology is derived from two words that are ophthalmic means eye and logia mean study. Hence it means the study of eyes. Ophthalmology is the branch of medical sciences which deals with the anatomy, physiology, disease of the eye. An ophthalmologist is a medical practitioner who is specialized in the different disease diagnosis of eye and treatment of that disease. This branch of science has vast scope today. Ophthalmology has the rich history, this branch originated in 800 BC. Many medical colleges and teaching hospitals are offering this course of study after MBBS. Details are given below regarding Ophthalmology scope in Pakistan, job opportunities and salaries, courses and the medical institutes which are offering ophthalmology in Pakistan.
Ophthalmology Scope In Pakistan
Ophthalmology Scope In Pakistan:
The scope of ophthalmology is very vast. In Pakistan after MBBS four year program FCPS examination or two and half year program MCPS, two-year training of DOMS in ophthalmology held under the supervision of patronage of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Pakistan. The M.S. in ophthalmology is also the specialty program. Ophthalmology is the vast branch of medical sciences which can diagnose and treat various complicated eye disease. On completion of FRCPS MRCPS MCPS MS DOMS successful candidates appointed as a consultant in hospitals.
Ophthalmology Jobs In Pakistan:
There are so many job areas where an ophthalmologist can easily apply as a consultant, specialist, in tertiary care hospitals, secondary care hospitals, military hospitals, as a professor in teaching hospitals. Consultants also get foreign fellowships and get board memberships. An ophthalmologist is specialized in retinal ophthalmology, cataracts, corneal disease, glaucoma, retinal problems through nonsurgical methods, neuro-ophthalmology, ocular oncology, orbit surgery, pediatric ophthalmology, refractive surgery, and retinal surgery.
Ophthalmology Salary In Pakistan:
Medical officer or doctor after FCPS become a Specialist. After completing the validity period of FCPS of three years become a consultant. A person can practice in any government hospital as well as in private hospitals. He or she can also practice in his/her private clinics. An ophthalmologist earns 100000 monthly in government hospitals and Rs. 35, 000 to Rs. 50, 000/- monthly in private clinics or hospitals. The specialist has the bright future in Pakistan.
Major Subjects in Ophthalmology:
Following are the major subjects’ of ophthalmology
- Basic Sciences in Ophthalmology.
- Clinical Anatomy of the Eye.
- The Eye: Basic Sciences and Practice.
- Clinical optics.
Course Outline in Specialization of Ophthalmology:
- Basic Pediatric Anesthesia
- Fundamentals of Manual Small Incision Cataract Surgery (MSICS)
- Fundamentals of Pediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus
- Ophthalmic Nursing Fundamentals
- Introduction to Pediatric Glaucoma
- Introduction to Pediatric Eye Care and Disease
- Genetics in an Hour
- Fundamentals of Motility
- Fundamentals of the Optic Disc
- Introduction to Retinoblastoma
- Cornea and External Disease – Herpes Infections
- Immune-Mediated Diseases of the Episclera and Sclera
- Ocular Manifestations of Treatable Metabolic Diseases
Colleges Offering Ophthalmology In Pakistan:
There is a number of institutes which are offering specialization in ophthalmology in Pakistan. The list of these institutes is mentioned below in detail.
- Liaquat University of medical and health sciences (Jamshoro)
- Dow University of health sciences (Karachi)
- University of Health Sciences (Lahore)
- Isra University Karachi (Hyderabad)
- Ayub Medical College (Abbottabad)
- King Edward Medical University (Lahore)
- Fatima Jinnah Medical College For Women Ganga Ram Hospital (Lahore)
- Chandka Medical College Dhq Hospital (Larkana)
- Pakistan Institute of medical sciences (Islamabad)
- Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto medical university (Larkana)
- Peoples University of medical and health sciences for women (Nawabshah)
- Quaid-e-Azam Post Graduate Medical Institute (Islamabad)
- Punjab Medical College (Faisalabad)
Yet the complete details about Ophthalmology scope in Pakistan, jobs, salary, courses, colleges offering Ophthalmology in Pakistan is all written here.